- Demonstrated problem-solving skills leveraging first-principles scientific techniques and hands-on experimental analyses for structure-property relationships and product development.
- Demonstrated mentoring skills through research guidance of undergraduate and graduate students at Ohio University.
- Proven excellence in verbal and written communication skills via first author peer-reviewed journal articles, technical reports and well-received oral presentations at national and international conferences.
- Proven excellence in interpersonal skills via successful leadership of cross-functional proposal and research teams, facilitation of technical customer service and engagement of external entities for public-private partnerships.
- Proven excellence in time and project management skills via combined use of Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and the Specific-Measurable-Attainable-Relevant-Timely (SMART) approach via Weekdone.
- Demonstrated personal initiative and organizational skills via ~7 months of simultaneously working full-time (as a research intern) and part-time (as a research scientist) in two different organizations and generating crucial results for both entities.
|Assistant Director for Research, Institute for Sustainable Energy and the Environment, Ohio University, Athens Ohio||Mar. ’19 – present|
- Lead investigator on two Institute projects: electrochemical phosphorus recovery and electrochemical oxidative dehydrogenation of ethane.
- PI/co-PI on research proposals related to electronic structure theory calculations, electrochemistry, process modeling and materials science.
- Responsible for all undergraduate student researchers (currently 13 total) from the initial interview to on-boarding and research project integration.
- Serving as Safety Officer in charge of protocol, inventory updates, laboratory operations and waste management.
|Assistant Director for Technical Business Development, Center for Electrochemical Engineering Research, Ohio University, Athens Ohio||Mar. ’15 – Mar. ’19|
- Lead quantitative analyst and literature reviewer for exploratory responses to requests for proposals and funding opportunity announcements, cutting proposal response rate by 50% (from 1-month to 2-week turnaround).
- Led outreach efforts using tradeshows, cold-calling, state and federal government workshops, online webinars and social media, increasing center outreach by 200% and center partnership by 20%. This included networking with leaders in external agencies (industry and government) for partnership opportunities including Senior Research Scientists and Directors of Research and Development
- Successfully facilitated the management of diverse proposal writing teams involving research scientists, faculty and students as well as representatives from technology transfer and sponsored research office, resulting in over 16 submitted proposals and pre-proposals ranging from $0.2M per year to $3M per year.
- Conducted targeted marketing – via white papers and 1-page handouts – specific to prospective partner’s market/needs based on primary research and secondary research including site visits, annual reports, trade magazines and business reports.
- Initiated and led thorough revamp of Center’s marketing tools (website and literature) to succinctly project core competencies and capabilities.
|Research Chemist Intern, Ashland Technical Center, Ashland Chemical, Dublin Ohio||Aug. ’14 – Mar. ’15|
- Synthesized, characterized and evaluated phenol formaldehyde resins for use in a variety of applications including friction, laminating and filtration.
- Co-developed new phenol formaldehyde resins including a rubber-based resin for alternative use in friction applications and a water-soluble urea-based resin with ultra-low levels of residual formaldehyde.
- Characterized paraformaldehyde from different suppliers for use in procurement decision.
- Cultivated relationships with external customers by troubleshooting concerns with and questions about product performance.
- Collaborated with internal multi-functional teams including sales, analytical science, engineering and manufacturing personnel to facilitate development of customer solutions.
- Represented Structural Polymers and Adhesives group on Ashland 5S Committee and organized subsequent 5S-related activities.
|Post-doctoral Research Associate/Research Scientist, Center for Electrochemical Engineering Research, Ohio University, Athens Ohio||Dec. ’11 – Mar. ’15|
- Developed photonics technique – Cavity Ring-Down Spectroscopy – for detecting low concentrations and weakly absorbing species in solution.
- Developed a reaction mechanism for urea conversion on nickel using predictive modeling of crystal structure and molecular adsorption.
- Explored self-assembled monolayers to improve reaction kinetics of aforementioned reaction.
- Wrote proposals funded by Ohio Supercomputing Center and Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment for computing hours.
|Graduate Research Assistant, Center for Electrochemical Engineering Research, Ohio University, Athens Ohio||Sep. ’05 – Nov. ’11|
- Developed a model for ammonia oxidation based on calculated binding energies, vibrations frequencies and adsorption geometry of involved molecules.
- Predicted a cause for catalytic poisoning during urea oxidation.
- Suggested an appropriate catalyst to inhibit this catalytic poisoning.
- Predicted the vibrational properties of zirconium oxide for use in characterizing solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) components.
- Presented research results at Imperial College (London, England) during an International Summer School.
- Synthesized, characterized and tested planar Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (button cells).
|PhD, Chemical Engineering, Ohio University, Nov. ’11|
|Dissertation Title: Theoretical Characterization of Ammonia Oxidation Species on Platinum Clusters|
|B.S., Chemical Engineering, Ohio University, Jun. ’04|
|Minors: Chemistry and Mathematics|
- Y.A. Al Majali, C.T. Chirume, E.P. Marcum, D.A. Daramola, K.S. Kappagantula and J.P. Trembly, Coal-Filler-Based Thermoplastic Composites as Construction Materials: A New Sustainable End-Use Application, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 7, pp 16870-16878 (2019).
- A. Estejab, D.A. Daramola and G.G. Botte, Mathematical model of a parallel plate ammonia electrolyzer for combined wastewater remediation and hydrogen production, Water Research 77, pp 133-145 (2015).
- G.G. Botte, D.A. Daramola and M. Muthuvel Preparative Electrochemistry for Organic Synthesis, In Comprehensive Organic Synthesis II (Second Edition), G.A., Molander; P. Knochel, Eds., Elsevier: Amsterdam, pp 351-389 (2014).
- D.A. Daramola and G.G. Botte, Theoretical study of ammonia oxidation on platinum clusters – Adsorption of intermediate nitrogen dimer molecules, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 402, pp 204-214 (2013).
- D.A. Daramola and G.G. Botte, Theoretical study of ammonia oxidation on platinum clusters – Adsorption of ammonia and water fragments, Computational and Theoretical Chemistry 989, pp 7 – 17 (2012).
- D.A. Daramola, Theoretical Characterization of Ammonia Oxidation Species on Platinum Clusters, Ph.D. Dissertation, Ohio University, Athens, OH (2011).
- D.A. Daramola, D. Singh and G.G. Botte, Dissociation Rates of Urea in the Presence of NiOOH Catalyst: A DFT Analysis, Journal of Physical Chemistry A 114, pp 11513 – 11521 (2010).
- D.A. Daramola, M. Muthuvel and G.G. Botte, Density Functional Theory Analysis of Raman Frequency Modes of Monoclinic Zirconium Oxide Using Gaussian Basis Sets and Isotopic Substitution, Journal of Physical Chemistry B 114, pp 9323 – 9329 (2010).
- Annual American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Meeting, Orlando (2019)
- Electrochemical Oxidative Dehydrogenation (e-ODH) As a Process Intensification Platform in Shale Gas Upgrading (Oral)
- REPRODUCE – Remediation and Production Using Computational and Electrochemical Approaches (Poster)
- Modular Electrocatalytic Processing for Simultaneous Carbon Utilization and Alkane Conversion (Contributing Author; Oral)
- Electrochemical processing to Capture Phosphorus from Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations Waste: Experimental and Process Simulation Investigations (Contributing Author; Oral)
- Annual AIChE Meeting, Pittsburgh (2012)
- Investigation of Ammonia Oxidation on the Platinum Surface for Hydrogen Generation (Oral)
- On the adsorption of thiol molecules on a Nickel Catalyst: A theoretical approach (Oral)
- 222nd ECS Meeting, Hawaii (2012)
- The Effect of surface modification on the properties of a Nickel catalyst: A Theoretical Study (Oral)
- Effect of Nickel Surface Structure on Urea Electrolysis: An Experimental Study (Oral)
- A Semi-Empirical Model of Ammonia electrolysis in comparison to water electrolysis (Poster)
- Theoretical Characterization of Ammonia Oxidation Intermediates and Products on Platinum Clusters (Poster)
- 220th ECS Meeting, Boston (2011)
- Theoretical Characterization of Nickel (II) Hydroxide for Hydrogen production from Urea (Poster)
- Studies on the Bulk Reactions during Ammonia Oxidation (Poster)
- Computational Study of Ammonia Oxidation on Platinum Clusters (Oral)
- 218th ECS Meeting, Las Vegas (2010)
- Ammonia Oxidation on Platinum anodes: A DFT study of two mechanisms (Oral)
- Electric Field Effects on the adsorption of NH3 on Platinum for Electrochemical Oxidation (Poster)
- MSSC 2010: Ab initio Modelling in Solid State Chemistry: Theoretical Raman Spectra of Monoclinic Zirconia for SOFC Studies (Poster)
- 215th ECS Meeting, San Francisco (2009)
- Theoretical Raman Spectra of Monoclinic Zirconia for SOFC Studies (Oral)
- Theoretical Study of the Kinetics of Ammonia Oxidation on Platinum Anodes (Poster)
- 212th ECS Meeting, Washington DC (2007): Computational and Experimental Analysis of Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Anodes in the presence of H2S. (Oral)
- 211th ECS Meeting, Chicago (2007): Theoretical Investigations of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Anode Materials in the presence of H2S (Poster)
- Eastern Regional Chemical & Materials Engineering Graduate Symposium (2006): Theoretical Investigations of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Anode Materials (Poster)
- 220th Electrochemical Society Meeting (ECS) Student Poster (2011)
- Ohio University Student Enhancement Award (2009)
- Ohio University Research and Creativity Fair (2007)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) Board of Affiliates Scholarship (2007)
- Eastern Regional Chemical & Materials Engineering Graduate Symposium (2006)
- NSBE & Exxon-Mobil Scholarship (2003)
- 222nd ECS Meeting Travel Grant (2012)
- 220th ECS Meeting Travel Grant (2011)
- 218th ECS Meeting Travel Grant (2010)
- International Summer School: Ab initio Modelling in Solid State Chemistry bursary (2010)
- 215th ECS Meeting Travel Grant (2009)
- Ohio University Graduate Student Senate Original Work Grant (2007)
- 212th ECS Meeting Travel Grant (2007)
- 211th ECS Meeting Travel Grant (2007)
- Electrochemical Society
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Theta Tau Professional Engineering Fraternity
- Ohio University Robe Leadership Scholar
- Reviewer for Journal of Colloid and Interface Science